Design and construction are over, the dust has settled (and been cleaned up), and now you’re ready to ‘ice the cake.’ Translation: It’s time to make that custom deck, screened porch, or stone patio really shine. In this post, we’ll offer you some decorating tips from the pros on how best to jazz up your outdoor living space.
Decorating your outdoor living space can be fun by following a few simple tips. You don’t have to spend much money or time to personalize your deck, porch, or patio. You just need to provide a comfortable experience for family, friends, and yourself! Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Arrange conversational areas similar to an indoor living room by clustering seating around a focal point like a sofa, chairs and coffee table
- Place different candles and votives around the space
- Consider outdoor lamps and outdoor heater lamps with washable shades (we are happy to recommend some of our favorite models)
- String lights wherever you can: along the top of a deck, at the edges of a table umbrella, at the wall/ceiling line of your screen porch, etc. Lighting creates warmth and ambiance which is key to bringing comfort to your outdoor space
- Find furnishings with an indoor feel that can be left outdoors like overstuffed, comfy sofas, chairs made of all-weather materials, drainable cushions, and water-resistant pillows
- When it comes to ceiling fans, our clients universally tell us that dark colors are best—black oil-rubbed bronze, espresso—regardless of the ceiling color
- Accessories and pillows give you a chance to add color and contrast
- Indoor/outdoor rugs are key to soften the floor area of your screen porch or deck
- Coffee tables and dining tables that have a built-in fire pit or cooler area for drinks are a bonus for entertaining
- Multi-functioning pieces of furniture will help save space–coffee tables that have storage areas underneath are a great place to store cushions and pillows
- Add a splash of color by filling planters with colorful seasonal blooms or greens
Decorating your new space can seem a bit overwhelming until you break it down into simple steps. Keep in mind that you don’t need to do it all at once. You can start with a few pieces of furniture and build over time. By adding your personal touch, you can enjoy many years of happy memories on your deck, porch, or patio. Happy decorating!